Thursday, March 22, 2012

Post One Hundred and Forty Six: Pardon My Intensity.


Excuse my ardor, forgive my zeal. I am on a mission and I'm hungry like the wolf (Do do do do do do do dodo dododo dodo).

Herein lies an invitation to be my friend.

I'm in Melbourne, living in my little house, working from dark until dark. Things are getting familiar and routine is setting in. I don't need my GPS to get around town. My coffee boy sings to me in the mornings because he knows it makes me smile. Most of the time it's a Train song, but that's ok. I can answer the phone with "WASSUUUUUP" when my boss is calling and she isn't offended by my informality. I very much like the comforts of insight, and I'm slowly becoming accustomed to my new surrounds.

It hasn't been easy. In fact, almost daily I think about what it would be like to pack my car up again and speed back home. I knew that for every weekend in Brisbane there was a party to be had and rock solid mates to do so with.  During working hours I knew my craft, I was 'on my game', and I could walk away from the fridge knowing that sh*t was sorted.

Everything is new here. I'm driving hearses around suburbs that sound like sneezes. I'm preventing widows from jumping into graves. I'm breaking up fisty cuffs outside churches. The usual funeral director stuff, but business that a mortician doesn't often get to see from the inside of the parlour itself.

I miss the confidence and security in my old world, but I am refreshed by the challenges of the curious and unfamilar.

I'll be honest however and divulge a secret. I'm a little lonely. I value peer interaction over most other things. Being around death and seeing grief as an expression of love; it does things to the way I live, be it good or bad. I want to meet pals that I can talk shit to, without being worried that I'm too intense. I want them to be cool with wearing pyjamas while we eat cookies and watch the x-files, be cool with me getting too drunk and starting fights with cab drivers, and above all, finding folk that actively seek reflection, honesty, and enjoyment in general shit.

It would also help if  they like: words, harmonicas, animals that look worldly, pickles, stationery, loose puns, and unobnoxious lighting. I've thought about dating sites but I'm too polite. It would be a bad move.

Well then. Friends?

S.

6 comments:

  1. Bah - why couldn't you have done that in Brizzy, I would have come for a drink with you any time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't do internet dating - it's soul destroying and everyone on there is a dud root. I love stationery, but the guy who had my place before me put in slightly obnoxious lighting. I would change it if I had the money. I also love deer, elk and owls and have seen loads of dead bodies because I have lots of dead friends. I don't really do funerals any more because I've been to too many. I love your blog. Apologies for the staccato sentences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are SO MANY cool places to be in Melbourne. If you miss brisbane try visiting the LuWOW - it is all tropical and kitsch and what I can only imagine brisbane is like based on tourism ads. Also you get tentacles in your drinks.

    but seriously you seem like a cool person and I wish I was brave enough to take you up on your offer but a) I'm dealing with social anxiety 'issues' and I'm certain I'd make an ass of myself and b) my social life got eaten by university. I do have a really, really awesome friend who is somewhat lonely since I abandoned him to study - he's whip smart, incredibly witty, loves deep reflections on this and that (and only 10 000 km)! Can I set you up for a friend-date? He knows many a good place and other cool persons around melb. ...I feel like a pimp

    ps Zetta Florence is a pretty neat stationary store on Brunswick street, which is in general a pretty neat street. Since you are into that kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I echo the above- don't bother with online matchmaking. The profiles alone freak me out. Typo is cute for stationary, in Melbourne Central- though it's not beautiful or anything, just kitschy.

    I've been reading you for a little while now and it's hit at a time of massive self-reflection and a general 'oh shit, I'm in my mid-twenties, when does life start?' crisis. So I thank you. For being interesting and brave, and for being brave enough to write about it. It helps, to read the ruminations of a stranger. I feel ya on the whole loneliness deal; perhaps moving into a one bedroom apartment to 'focus on study' was not a great idea. Ha. I can't guarantee that you'll make a friend, but I see that you've listed your email, and I make a pretty good email pen-pal (it's the crippling social anxiety). The offer is there. Oh- yes to pickles. I also like words and animals...I recently finished a B.A in literature and am now studying to be a cultural materials conservator (which will probably end up being art but may or may not involve some taxidermy- how I stumbled upon your site, actually!). It's interesting but I have constant moments of pointless existentialism that are generally only drowned out with 3am pizza-ordering and Youtube-conspiracy-theory-videos-watching. I've played scrabble with myself, drunk, turning the board around pretending to be the other player. I'm not ashamed.

    I thought the first bit needed to be said because you get far too little comments for such an amazing blog, and you sound like you could do with hearing it once in a while. I hope you find what you're looking for, Sarah.

    - Elizabeth

    ps. As a native, I recommend investing in a good winter coat now, whilst they're cheap(er). The weather will change so suddenly come June that you won't know what hit you, but keep your shorts because the next day will be a sunny 30c. Welcome to Melbourne.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So good to see you writing on here more frequently.If you go on twitter you will find out more of what is going on around you Im sure.It must he hard to meet young people in your line of work and I understand how much letting go with someone would help cope with works difficulties and sad times.I wish you all the best.Put it out there...It will come to you I have no doubt.Big hugs X

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just did the Brisbane to Melbourne move too, and it's definitely harder than it sounds in your head when you first decide to do it. I wouldn't go back for the world though :)

    I'm not a social butterfly by any stretch of the imagination but if it will help restore your sanity, then you, your harmonica and your x-files collection are welcome at my place any time.

    ReplyDelete