Monday, June 28, 2010

Blog Eighteen: Til' Death Do Us Part.




Is this weird? This is weird. One shirt to rule them all.

The tag pictured above was on a shirt that I had to dress a dead person in....I think that the dude was trying to get my attention from the other side. Ooooooooooooooooooooooo! The O is missing, but no big deal. (I wasn't made in China though...but imagine if I was!)

This whole coincidence has made me feel more connected to the poor guy. Death brought us together. It seems that anything around me can inspire introspection these days! Blimey. A random train of thought, but I wonder if his death brought him closer to the people around him? Who was by his side? I mean, I was there after, but who was there during?

Who's going to be around me when I go?

I think I like that I don't know yet. I mean, I can vaguely speculate, but with no certainty can I even consider that anyone in my life now will be there in the end. I like the mystery, and it quite fondly causes me to reminisce about the time before I knew that Santa and the Easter bunny was all a lie, a horible filthy lie. The period of blissful naivity before the truth hit, before I knew that the world was littered with rapists and famine and foul tasting wheatgrass shots.

I'm 25 years old. I think this age traditionally calls for the beginnings of maturity. The playing field of lovers uniting. Damn whiney babies, predictable nuptuals and the like. I was thinking about marriage today, and I just don't know how I feel about the whole package deal. I love that you could have a companion that knows you better than you know yourself, because I'm always forgetting shit. I like that you can probably get away with looking feral and they can't easily leave you...sure, they might cheat, but cheating could bring all the needed spice back into a marriage right?

The whole til death do us part thing, that's probably the strangest thing that marriage has got going for it. You're saying when you make those vows "If I'm around, I'll be holding back your hair (if you have any) when you cough up your lungs...and when you slip away my hand will be in yours."

I want that. I don't want to go alone. I don't care if I choose someone to wade through the sewers of life with me in 2, 5,10,20 or 60 years time, but yes, I want someone there. Maybe thats all I can concretely say I would want out of a committed marriage. So to my future husband/wife/ turkey basting partner....hello out there! I wonder if I know you yet?

Peace.

2 comments:

  1. I love this post. I'm not 100% sure why, but I really love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can trick ppl to guilt their way into being that, or a bastardisation of it, but i wonder if there is an honest version? Surely. I am trying for something. Im such a cynic. Cynic is really a euphemism isnt it? It doesnt even hint that there may be emotion to go along with the views. I wonder about all the people alone in their beds at night in the hospital, away from their booze. No visitors. Partners often dead before them. Just stark reality. In any version of that system; who holds back the hair of the hair holder, after 35yrs of sharing, once the lungs of their significant other are couhged out?

    ReplyDelete